We love all of the fun national theme days -- who comes up with this stuff?! Since today's National Strawberry Sundae Day, we decided to indulge in the treat -- but we made it healthier. We absolutely love this creamy, sweet, delicious dairy-free ice cream recipe. It's made from only a few ingredients, it's super simple (and fast) to make at home and if you're hankering for an ice cream treat this summer, it is a healthier choice.
Vanilla Coconut Ice Cream
adapted from Minimalist Baker's recipe
servings: 8 (1/2 cup sizes)
- 2 cups full fat coconut milk
- 1/2 cup organic cane sugar
- pinch sea salt
- 3 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup strawberries, diced
1. The day or night before making this recipe, place your ice cream churning bowl in the freezer to properly chill.
2. The following day, add coconut milk, organic cane sugar, sea salt and vanilla extract to a bowl and whip quickly with a whisk until smooth.
3. Add mixture to chilled ice cream maker and churn according to manufacturer’s instructions - about 45 minutes.
4. Once churned, transfer the ice cream to a large freezer-safe container (such as a loaf pan) and use a spoon to smooth the top.
5. Cover securely and freeze until firm. Set out for 5-10 minutes before serving to soften.
6. In a small pot, heat diced strawberries until they're thick and juicy.
7. Scoop ice cream into a bowl and spoon strawberries over top for serving.
Note: our ice cream is a bit soupy because the strawberry sauce melted it! :) This may happen to yours, too.
If you don't have an ice cream maker, no worries! Below are Minimalist Baker's notes on how you can still enjoy this recipe:
*If you don't own an ice cream maker, add chilled mixture to a freezer-safe container and freeze. Once every hour, remove from freezer and stir /whisk to incorporate air. Repeat until mostly firm - 6-8 hours. Then continue freezing until completely firm before serving. It won't yield as creamy results, but it still works!
YUM! And of course, if you're looking for a sassy little number to wear while enjoying your sundae, we suggest this dress, currently available in the store!
Peace & Joy,